The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the trend of remote work, making it clear that it is the future of work for many industries. In 2025, 32.6 million Americans are predicted to work remotely, with the computer and IT industry leading this trend, followed by marketing, accounting and finance, and medical and health. Remote teams are becoming popular due to their advantages, including increased productivity, reduced costs, and increased flexibility.
Hiring Remote Development Teams in South America
South America is a great place to hire remote development teams. The region has a large pool of skilled developers, and the cost of living is relatively low. Additionally, the time zone in South America is similar to North America, which makes it easy to collaborate with remote teams.
Hiring a remote development team in South America can be a great way to save money and get access to skilled developers. By following these tips, you can ensure that your project is a success.
In this blog post, we will discuss the advantages of hiring a remote development team in South America and provide a step-by-step guide to help you successfully hire the right team for your business.
Benefits of Hiring a Remote Development Team in South America
Access to Highly Skilled Developers
One of the advantages of hiring a remote development team in South America is the opportunity to tap into a pool of highly skilled developers. According to a report by Deel, Latin America is emerging as a leader in the global tech scene. The number of foreign companies hiring from the region has increased by 156%, with software engineers being the most sought-after professionals. This indicates that there is a large talent pool available for companies looking to hire dedicated software developers or dedicated software development teams at a lower cost compared to other regions.
Another advantage of hiring a remote development team in South America is cost-effectiveness. Compared to hiring in-house developers, hiring a remote team can save your business a significant amount of money, particularly for North American companies, as the cost of living and labor is lower in South America. This is a major consideration for businesses looking to manage their costs and maximize their return on investment.
According to a survey by Deloitte, 87% of IT companies are considering nearshore outsourcing as a cost-cutting strategy. This is not surprising, as outsourcing is a popular option for businesses seeking to save money. This means that businesses can access top talent without spending too much money.
It is important to note that salaries for junior positions in Latin America have increased by almost 50% since the start of the pandemic, according to Revelo's platform. If more jobs become subject to international competition, the salary gap may continue to narrow. Despite this increase, there are still cost savings to be found. Senior software engineers can be hired in the region with monthly salaries ranging from $4,500 to $10,000. Get more insights about salaries in the region in this blog post.
Work in the Same Time-Zone
South America's favorable time zone is a great benefit for North American businesses. With only a few hours of time difference, companies can easily communicate with their remote teams during regular business hours, ensuring that there are no delays in the project timeline. This helps businesses stay on top of their projects and ensure timely delivery within budget.
Colombia, which is in the Eastern Time Zone in standard time, has the best time zone compatibility with North America, with only a one-hour time difference between the regions. Brazil, Argentina, and Peru are in the Central Time Zone, which means there is only a three-hour time difference between the regions. However, businesses must note that the time difference may change during daylight saving time, which is not uniformly observed across North America and South America.
For example, during daylight saving time in North America, the time difference between these countries and North America would increase to two hours for Brazil and Argentina, and four hours for Peru. Colombia does not observe daylight saving time, so the time difference between Colombia and North America remains stable throughout the year.
Finally, companies can easily work with remote development teams in South America due to cultural similarities shared with North America. Many South American countries share similar cultural values and work ethics with North American countries, making it easier to establish a good working relationship with the remote team.
Here are some cultural similarities between North American and South American countries that make it easier for companies to work with remote development teams in South America:
1. Communication style: Both North America and South America value direct communication. People tend to be straightforward and honest in their communication, which can help avoid misunderstandings and promote transparency in working relationships.
2. Work ethic: Both North American and South American cultures emphasize hard work and productivity. This can help ensure that remote teams are committed to meeting project deadlines and delivering high-quality work.
3.Teamwork: Collaboration and teamwork are highly valued in both North America and South America. This can help remote teams work together effectively and support each other in achieving project objectives.
4. Time management: Punctuality and efficiency are important in both North America and South America. This means that remote teams are likely to be committed to meeting deadlines and delivering work on time.
5.Professionalism: Both North America and South America value professionalism. This means that remote teams are likely to be professional in their interactions with clients and committed to delivering high-quality work.
These cultural similarities can help establish a good working relationship between North American companies and remote development teams in South America. By understanding and respecting these cultural values, companies can collaborate more effectively with their remote teams and achieve their business objectives.
Steps to Successfully Hire a Remote Development Team in South America
Hiring a remote development team can be a daunting task, especially if you have never done it before. However, by following these steps, you can ensure that you hire the right team for your business:
Determine your project requirements and budget - Before you start looking for a remote development team, determine your project requirements, including the project's scope, skills required, and timeline. This ensures that you have a clear understanding of your project requirements and can identify the right team to help you achieve your business objectives.
- Research and shortlist potential partners or hiring alternatives - Once you have defined your project requirements and budget, you need to assess different hiring alternatives, such as staffing, hiring contractors, or hiring dedicated teams. Look for companies that have experience working on similar projects and have a good track record. This ensures that you identify partners that have the expertise and experience needed to help you build an effective team.
- Evaluate candidates based on their skills and experience - After shortlisting potential development teams, evaluate the candidates based on their skills and experience. Look for developers who have experience working on similar projects and have the skills required to complete your project. This ensures that you identify candidates who have the expertise and experience needed to deliver a high-quality project.
- Conduct interviews to assess communication and cultural fit - Once you have identified potential candidates, conduct interviews to assess their communication skills and cultural fit. This is particularly important if you are working with a remote team, as effective communication is essential for project success. This ensures that you identify candidates who have the communication skills and cultural fit needed to collaborate effectively with your business.
- Define project goals and expectations clearly - Once you have selected a remote development team, define project goals and expectations clearly. This includes defining the project's scope, timeline, and deliverables. This ensures that you and the remote team have a clear understanding of the project requirements and can work together effectively to achieve your business objectives.
- Establish effective communication channels and tools - To ensure effective communication with your remote team, establish effective communication channels and tools. This includes using video conferencing software, instant messaging apps, and project management tools. This ensures that you can communicate effectively with your remote team and stay on top of your project.
- Set up regular check-ins and progress updates - To ensure that the project is progressing as planned, set up regular check-ins and progress updates with the remote team. This ensures that you are aware of any issues or delays in the project timeline and can take corrective action as needed.
- Establish a good working relationship with the team - Finally, to ensure project success, establish a good working relationship with the remote team. This includes being responsive to their questions and concerns, providing feedback, and recognizing their contributions to the project. This ensures that you can collaborate effectively with your remote team and achieve your business objectives.
Hiring Software Developers vs. Dedicated Software Development Teams
When companies hire a remote development team, they have the choice of hiring individual software developers or dedicated software development teams. Although building your own team of software developers may be appropriate for some projects, hiring a dedicated software development team has many advantages, especially if you lack the internal capacity to manage your software projects.
In this type of software outsourcing, the vendor manages your project with the help of a dedicated team. Depending on the service you choose, the dedicated team can work part-time or full-time on your project.
On the other hand, hiring a team on your own allows you to maintain control and technical leadership of your project, enabling better collaboration and communication within the team. This leads to more efficient productivity and faster project completion.
In conclusion, hiring a remote development team in South America can be a cost-effective and efficient way to access highly skilled developers. The region offers many advantages, including favorable time zones, cultural affinity, and a large pool of talented professionals. By following the steps outlined in this blog post and selecting the right type of team, companies can successfully hire a development team that meets their project requirements and budget. With the right communication tools and a good working relationship, remote development teams can be just as effective as in-house teams, providing the skills and expertise needed to innovate and grow your business.
If you want to have a better undestanding of this topic, including countries, benefits, regulations, among others, read the Essential Guide to Hiring Software Developers in South America
If you're looking to hire a remote development team, consider South America as your destination of choice. BetterWay Devs is a top-rated partner for IT recruiting and staff augmentation in South America. Schedule a call to explore how to scale your team in a transparent and human way.
BetterWay Devs Inbound Marketing Manager